I dedicate this article to the travelers, wedding planners and all romantic souls, who loves breathtaking nature views. Isola del Garda is an island in Italy surrounded by the lake Garda and Alps. Isola del Garda is located in the southwest of Lake Garda, just south of the Gulf of Salò, close to the town of San Felice del Benaco, in the Province of Brescia, Lombardy. The island or actually islands, since Isola del Garda includes some small outcroppings of rock and most of the park is divided from the castle by a narrow channel, was initially just rocks jutting out from the lake. All the soil for the gardens was brought in over time by the inhabitants. The island is around 1.1 km (0.7 mi) long, but only around 70 meters (230 feet) wide at the widest point.
Now Isola del Garda Island has wonderful gardens with lots of plants and stunning castle, there you can hold romantic wedding, or guided tour to admire the peace of beautiful island.
HISTORY OF THE ISOLA DEL GARDA ISLAND AND THE CASTLE
It is believed that, island has likely been inhabited since the Roman period. According to archeological researchers, there was found votive temples and Gallo-Roman tombstones. After having been abandoned during the period of decline of the Roman Empire, the island served for a long time as a hideout for pirates who preyed on the shipping on Lake Garda.
Over the hundred years, the names of the island have changed many times. It was known as ‘Insula Cranie – Skull Island’, ‘Isola dei Frati – Monastic Island’, by the names of the owners ‘Isola Scotti’, ‘Isola Lechi’, ‘Isola de Ferrari’ and ‘Isola Borghese’. The owners and inhabitants of the island changed many times, until 1869 Genoese Duke, Gaetano de Ferrari together with his wife Maria Annenkova bought the island and decided, that it would be their home. Maria fell in love with the tranquility and beauty of the island, and therefore, she soon began planting a park and building a Venetian neo-Gothic-style palace. The couple built limestone walls that held the winds around the southern part of the island. Brought large amount of fertile land from the nearest peninsula.
With the help of the architect Luigi Rovelli (known for his eclectic style works in Liguria), the current palace was built between 1890 and 1903. As wee see it took 13 years to build it up. The Duke died in 1893, ten years before the completion of the works, so he never saw the work completed.
Duke’s daughter Anna Maria has grown up on the island and loved it immensely. She populated the island with exotic plants from her numerous travels with her husband, and the island, became known as the pearl of the lake. After her death, the island of Isola del Garda was inherited by her daughter Livia Borghese. The island was occupied more than once during World War II, but after Italy regained it’s independence, the island returned to the hands of the same family. When Livia Borghese passed away, leaving the island to her son Camillo.
In 1965 Camillo had moved permanently to the island with his beloved wife, Lady Charlotte Chetwynd – Talbot. Over the last twenty years, she had recreated a corner of her homeland on the island, giving life to a remarkable English garden, boasting a collection of colorful flowers. Camillo contributed to the beautification of the park on the island. Camillo Cavazza died in 1981. The island and family business are still in the hands of his wife Charlotte Cavazza and their seven children. It is amazing that in a hundred and fifty years to this day, generation after generation, the island remained in the same family hands.
ISOLA DEL GARDA TODAY
In 2001, the family open the gardens of the island to visitors to fund projects for the conservative restoration of the villa and maintenance of the green areas.
In 2004, in addition to guided tours, the family begin holding concerts, ceremonies, receptions and corporate events.
For the last twenty years, the island has been cared for by a daughter, Alberta Cavazza, together with her team. The beauty and tranquility of this island has been seen and enjoyed by thousands of visitors to this day. The transfer to the island takes between 15 and 40 minutes each way depending on the departure port. At the end of this article, you will find useful links.
For more than forty years, Charlotte, the mother of 7 siblings who today own the island, has been lovingly and passionately looking after her English garden on the Island, where she has recreated a small corner of her homeland.
Isola del Garda is home to plants and essences from all around the world. Near the villa, palms originating from the Canary Islands grow. On the lower terrace, on the banks of the lake fruit trees such as persimmons, lemons, pears, pomegranates, olives, oranges, grapefruit, prickly pears, jujubes and capers can be found.
On the central terrace at the front of the Villa the garden is in the classical Italian style with well-modeled hedges which represent various figures including the emblem of the Borghese family.
WEDDING IN ISOLA DEL GARDA ISLAND
Today, it’s an ideal place for romantic weddings, civil ceremonies, various events or business meetings, private parties and photo sessions. The maximum capacity for a ceremony is 160 seated guests.
Guests arrive on the island from different ports of the lake. From the nearest ports it takes about 15 minutes. For guests there is semi-covered boats with 55 seats. The bride and groom can use a smaller boat of their choice. For anyone who has difficulty walking, there is a golf car with 3 places to assist them where possible. Not all areas of the island are accessible by golf car.
It is not possible to stay overnight on the island, but you can find various hotels on the lake, easily reachable from the boarding point.